Run Your Entire Business With One System. Free Product Tour. QuickBooks for Mac. We place this one first as this is an easy decision for you if your company runs on all Macs. QuickBooks Mac is a different software. Compare QuickBooks Products for Desktop, Online and Mobile, as well Enterprise and Does QuickBooks Online sync with my QuickBooks Desktop version?
Quickbooks version differences - final
QuickBooks Pro vs Premier vs Enterprise vs Accountant 2020
The wide range of QuickBooks products helps make it the most popular accounting software among small businesses. There are four QuickBooks Desktop products: QuickBooks Pro, QuickBooks Premier, QuickBooks Enterprise, and QuickBooks Accountant. This QuickBooks Desktop comparison guide compares the cost, features, and support options to determine which QuickBooks Desktop program is right for you.
We rated QuickBooks Desktop among our best small business accounting software. Answer a few short questions to see a personalized recommendation for the best QuickBooks Desktop product for your business. After the quiz, you can link directly to our recommended software, or continue reading the article to learn more.
Which QuickBooks Version Is Right for You?
Answer a few questions about your business and we'll give you personalized product match
QuickBooks Pro vs Premier vs Enterprise vs Accountant
- QuickBooks Pro: Best for businesses with up to three users and minimal inventory
- QuickBooks Premier: Best for nonprofit, manufacturing and wholesale, professional services, construction, or retail businesses with five or fewer users
- QuickBooks Enterprise: Best for small to medium-sized retailers, wholesalers, distributors, and manufacturers with advanced inventory needs
- QuickBooks Accountant: Best for bookkeepers and accountants that provide bookkeeping or payroll services to multiple businesses
When to Use QuickBooks Online
Business owners with multiple locations might want to consider QuickBooks Online as an alternative to the desktop version. As a cloud-based solution, QuickBooks Online lets you access your data from any smartphone or computer that’s connected to the internet. If you think QuickBooks Online might be best for your business, you can learn more at QuickBooks Online vs Desktop.
Tip: The only QuickBooks desktop software available for Macintosh users is QuickBooks for Mac, which has similar features to QuickBooks Pro. Macintosh users looking for additional features should consider QuickBooks Online, which will run on either Windows or Macintosh computers.
QuickBooks Desktop Comparison: Chart of Pricing and Features
QuickBooks Desktop Pricing
QuickBooks Desktop software requires a separate license for each concurrent user. One license allows you to set up an unlimited number of users within a company file and install QuickBooks on two computers. However, if you want two or more users to open QuickBooks at the same time, you will need a license for each user.
QuickBooks Desktop Purchase vs Plus Subscription
In addition to deciding on a QuickBooks edition, you need to decide whether to purchase the program or enter an annual subscription, called Plus. QuickBooks Enterprise and QuickBooks Accountant don’t have a purchase option, so you must subscribe to them.
Customer support without the Plus subscription is expensive. If you know you’ll need to call QuickBooks with questions, then you probably want to buy the Plus subscription, which includes unlimited customer support. However, if you have QuickBooks experience and are confident you can answer your own questions using their publicly available online resources, then you can save money with the one-time purchase.
QuickBooks Pro vs Premier
QuickBooks Pro is a comprehensive bookkeeping program and works very well for most small businesses, but QuickBooks Premier offers additional options for managing inventory, plus five industry-specific editions.
QuickBooks Pro vs Premier at a Glance
Takeaway: QuickBooks Pro is suitable for most businesses that don’t require more than three simultaneous users. However, QuickBooks Premier is worth the additional price if your business deals extensively in inventory or operates in one of the five industry-specific editions of Premier, which are retailing, nonprofit, manufacturing and wholesaling, professional services, and construction. The industry-specific editions provide both additional reporting options and workflows customized for your industry.
QuickBooks Premier vs Enterprise
QuickBooks Enterprise is the most powerful of all QuickBooks products, including QuickBooks Online editions. QuickBooks Enterprise significantly scales up the functionality provided by Premier by allowing up to 30 users, advanced inventory, advanced pricing, and advanced reporting. However, the advanced features come at a steep price. Enterprise is more than twice the cost of Premier.
QuickBooks Premier vs Enterprise at a Glance
Takeaway: Because of the high price, most businesses will probably wait to upgrade from Premier to Enterprise until they require more than five concurrent users. However, if your business spends a lot of time dealing with inventory in multiple locations, Enterprise might be worth the additional cost.
QuickBooks Premier vs Accountant
QuickBooks Accountant Desktop has all the features of QuickBooks Premier but has special tools and capabilities designed to help professional bookkeepers work with many different clients. For instance, QuickBooks Accountant Desktop can toggle between all the industry-specific versions of Premier as well as Plus. It can also access QuickBooks Desktop files that are from prior-year versions without updating the file. This is important so that clients with older versions of QuickBooks Desktop can still open the file when it is returned.
QuickBooks Premier vs Accountant at a Glance
Takeaway: If you are a bookkeeper or accountant looking to provide accounting services to clients that use QuickBooks Pro or Premier, you need QuickBooks Accountant Desktop. However, the license requires a current and active ProAdvisor membership. You can purchase and access the program immediately but are eventually required to complete about 20 hours of training and pass an exam.
QuickBooks Pro: Best for Businesses With Minimal Inventory
QuickBooks Pro contains the core accounting features needed by most small and midsize businesses (SMBs) like importing bank transactions, tracking unpaid bills, invoicing clients, and printing detailed reports. However, QuickBooks Pro isn’t a good fit for businesses that require advanced inventory features like adjusting inventory for outstanding sales orders and viewing available inventory.
QuickBooks Pro Pricing
QuickBooks Pro can be purchased for a one-time fee or as a Plus subscription:
- One-time purchase: $399.95 per user with a maximum of three users
- Includes required maintenance updates for three years
- Plus subscription: $399.95 per user per year with a maximum of three users
- Includes unlimited customer support, annual upgrade to the newest edition, and off-site backup of data
QuickBooks Pro Features
- Connect bank accounts: Users match imported transactions to existing transactions or assign imported transactions to the appropriate accounts.
- Create invoices: Invoices can be customized and either printed or emailed to customers.
- Track unpaid bills: Unpaid bills can be entered when received and tracked to make sure they are paid on time. Unpaid bills are included as expenses on accrual-based financial statements to provide a better understanding of true profitability.
- Create jobs: You can create multiple jobs for a single customer and produce an estimate of total job costs. Actual expenses are then assigned to jobs as they are incurred.
- Export Accountant’s Copy: The Accountant’s Copy allows you to continue to work on current year activity while locking all prior-year activity so your accountant can review it and make changes.
- Prepare Form 1099s: Vendors can be designated as eligible to receive Form 1099. QuickBooks will track payments to these vendors and prepare Form 1099 at the end of the year.
- Run payroll: Payroll can be added for an additional fee and will be integrated into your bookkeeping automatically.
QuickBooks Premier: Best for Businesses in Niche Industries
QuickBooks Premier offers industry-specific tools and reports for five industries: manufacturing and wholesale, retail, professional services, contractors, and nonprofit. These industry-specific versions include a customized chart of accounts list, products and services lists, and reports that you won’t find in QuickBooks Pro.
QuickBooks Premier Pricing
QuickBooks Premier can be purchased for a one-time fee, or as part of a Plus subscription:
- Purchase price: $649.95 per user with a maximum of five users
- Includes required maintenance updates for three years
- Plus subscription: $649.95 per user per year with a maximum of five users
- Includes unlimited customer service, an annual upgrade to the latest edition, and off-site backup of your company data
QuickBooks Premier Features
QuickBooks Premier has all the features of QuickBooks Pro, plus these additional features:
- Select an industry-specific edition: There are five industry-specific editions with special workflows and reporting.
- Change unit of measure: You can buy and sell inventory using different units of measure. For instance, you could record the purchase of rope by the yard and sell it by the foot.
- Create purchase orders: After creating an estimate for a job, the information can be copied automatically into a purchase order to send your supplier.
- Record sales orders: Available inventory will be reduced when you record a sales order from a customer, helping to make sure you always have enough inventory on hand.
- Assemble inventory: You can define Inventory Assemblies that combine inventory items and labor to produce a new item of inventory.
QuickBooks Enterprise: Best for Businesses With Extensive Inventory Needs
QuickBooks Enterprise is the top of the line QuickBooks Desktop product. It is for businesses with complex inventory needs such as tracking inventory at multiple locations and using bar scanning technology. With QuickBooks Enterprise, you can have up to 30 users, making this the best option for midsize companies. QuickBooks Enterprise comes in a general business edition plus the same five industry-specific editions as QuickBooks Premier.
QuickBooks Enterprise Pricing
Unlike QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premium, there is no option to purchase QuickBooks Enterprise for a one-time fee. QuickBooks Enterprise is available in three levels:
- Silver: $1,213 per year for the first user
- Platinum: $1,940 per year for the first user
- Includes a subscription to QuickBooks Enhanced Payroll
- Diamond: $3,825 per year for first user
- Includes a subscription to QuickBooks Assisted Payroll
All Enterprise subscriptions include unlimited customer support, off-site backup of your company file, and an annual upgrade to the latest edition. There may be discounts for additional users, so contact QuickBooks before you purchase Enterprise.
QuickBooks Enterprise Features
QuickBooks Enterprise has all the features of Pro and Premier, plus these additional features:
- Track multiple locations: Users can track income and expense separately for multiple locations.
- Create advanced reports: Companies can create reports that combine visual graphics with summaries and detailed reports.
- Pay employees with QuickBooks Enhanced Payroll (Platinum only): QuickBooks calculates payroll taxes for an unlimited number of employees for no monthly fee. It also tracks the taxes collected and paid, as well as files the quarterly payroll tax returns.
- Pay employees with QuickBooks Assisted Payroll (Diamond only): Diamond subscribers can access QuickBooks Assisted Payroll for no monthly fee and just $1 per employee, per pay period. Your company must issue the paychecks, but QuickBooks will make all payroll tax payments and file all payroll tax returns.
- Track inventory with more detail and efficiency (Platinum and Diamond): Businesses can better manage their inventory with tracking across multiple locations, serial number tracking, bar code scanning, and mobile bar code receiving.
- Implement advanced pricing (Platinum and Diamond): Advance pricing allows users to create quantity discounts, charge different prices by location, set prices for promotional periods, and more flexibility in managing price rules.
QuickBooks Accountant: Best for Professional Bookkeepers & Accountants
QuickBooks Accountant is a must-have for bookkeepers to review client files and is available in two editions. QuickBooks Accountant Desktop is used to review client files from QuickBooks Pro or Premier. QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant is used to review client files from QuickBooks Enterprise. Both editions have the same features to make it easier and faster to work with data from multiple clients.
QuickBooks Accountant Pricing
QuickBooks Accountant Desktop and QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant are only available as part of a QuickBooks ProAdvisor Membership. You must be a current and active ProAdvisor to purchase the software. However, you have access to the program as soon as you join the ProAdvisor program, even if you aren’t certified yet:
- ProAdvisor Premier Software Bundle: $449 per year for each ProAdvisor and includes:
- QuickBooks Desktop training and certifications
- QuickBooks Accountant Desktop
- ProAdvisor Enterprise Software Bundle: $799 per year for each ProAdvisor and includes:
- QuickBooks Desktop training and certifications
- QuickBooks Accountant Desktop
- QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Accountant
- QuickBooks Mac Desktop
- QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop
QuickBooks Accountant Features
QuickBooks Accountant Desktop and QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant have all the features of QuickBooks Premier and QuickBooks Enterprise, respectively. In addition, both the Accountant editions have features to help professional bookkeepers import, review, adjust, and communicate changes with their clients.
- Import Accountant’s Copy: Clients provide an Accountant’s Copy of their company file, which allows them to continue working on current-year activity while their external accountant reviews and makes adjustments to prior-year activity.
- Enter transactions in batches: You can save hours of data input by importing transactions from an Excel spreadsheet.
- Review client data: Accountants can quickly find and correct tax and bill payments that were entered as expenses. Also, accountants can compare the clients’ prior-year balances to the correct balances on the tax return or financial statements and make an adjusting journal entry automatically.
- Send adjusting journal entries: Post adjusting journal entries and email them to your client who can import them into their company file.
- Prepare financial statements with QuickBooks Statement Writer: You can format high-quality financial statements along with all the necessary footnotes directly from QuickBooks Accountant.
Now that you’ve learned about the QuickBooks Desktop product line, and it’s time to pick your version. If your business needs sophisticated inventory tools, then go with QuickBooks Enterprise. If you don’t need these inventory features and have less than five users, go with either Pro or Premier.
QuickBooks offers a variety of powerful software to fit almost any need. Whichever QuickBooks edition you choose for your business, you can get started with either a 30-day free trial or 50% off for three months.